… by Onishi:
- An interview by David Durán Arufe on sul ponticello
(NB: Original Responses in English can be found here)
- Composer pour se connaître. Entretien avec Yoshiaki Onishi. by Ensemble Intercontemporain (2015) (in French)
- Review: Andile Khumalo’s Shades of Words
- Between Imagination and Realization: Composers and Metaphysical Spaces (Doctoral Dissertation, Columbia University) (2015)
AbstractThis dissertation explores the ways of imagining the metaphysical space as a viable platform in music composition. I divide the paper into three large chapters: The first chapter is a philosophical grounding of the concept of metaphysical space. I reveal the concept of metaphysical space, and propose one of the possible inner structures of it. The inner structure of the metaphysical space is explained in two tiers. In the first tier, I review the Niveau Poïétique of Jean Molino’s Tripartite Model, and then offer an alternative reading of the Niveau Poïétique. Thereafter, I put the first tier of the structure of the metaphysical space in a larger philosophical context, by invoking the concept of two-fold being-in-the-world by Shizuteru Ueda. In the second chapter, I present a detailed analysis of …zu… by Mark Andre, in which I investigate how the paradigm of metaphysical space can be applied to the compositional situations of Andre and his work. The chapter is divided into two large sections. The first section is devoted to Andre’s methodology in music notation. This section provides the concrete foundation necessary for the discussion of the second section, which is the musical analysis of the Andre work. The third chapter is devoted to the analysis of my recent work, Tramespace I (2012-13). This chapter is also divided into two sections. In the first section I discuss the problematics of the musical circularity from philosophical perspectives. In the second section I present an analysis of Tramespace I, by referring to the musical sketches and other pertinent compositional materials for the work. In this chapter as a whole my aim is to present one of the many possibilities of utilizing the kinds of philosophical and musical ideas derived from the preceding two chapters in the praxis of music composition, in ways that are anchored by the overarching concept of the metaphysical space.
- On Tramespace I, a Lecture (On The Ear Reader)
- Two Writings (A Response and Keynote Speech), Gaudeamus Muziekweek Seminar on Crisis, Fall 2013
- “A Few Thoughts on Reger’s Variations and Fugue on a Theme of J.S. Bach“, Summer 2013
- A review article for Open Space (forthcoming)
- Interview with the Nieuw Ensemble for the 2011 Season Brochure (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Program notes for the Columbia University Orchestra concerts, Seasons 2011/12 and 2012/13.
- Democratizing Classical Music, published by Columbia Spectator on December 1, 2011
- Reharmonizing Japan, published by Columbia Spectator on March 24, 2011.
- Blog (ongoing)
… about Onishi:
- “I would like to think that my music offers no wall” (« J’aime penser que ma musique n’a pas de barrière ») Interview by Charlotte Brouard-Tartarin (2017). With kind authorization from Lydia Rilling and Charlotte Brouard-Tartarin. NB: The published version in Rainy Days Festival 2017’s concert booklet, in French, can be consulted online here, pp. 222-4.
- Of Sound and Fury by Adaam James Levin-Areddy (2015)
- Reflecties van de Jonge Componist Yoshiaki Onishi (Reflection of the young composer Yoshiaki Onishi) by Aad van Nieuwkerk (in Dutch), in Muziek van Nu (2014)
- jonge componist en dirigent onishi over de filosofie achter zijn muziek(young composer and conductor Onishi about the philosophy behind his music) by Aad van Nieuwkerk (text in Dutch, interview in English), for VPRO.nl (2013)
- Interview 55 – Yoshiaki Onishi by Daniel Vezza, for Composer Conversations(2013)
- Een Verkenning van de Ziel by Marianne Broeder (in Dutch), in Gaudeamus Muziekweek 2012 Bijlage VPRO Gids.
- Émotions contemporaines à la Philarmonie de Luxembourg, by Dominique Adrian, for ResMusica Online, (Review of Vgf II), November 22, 2017.
- Review of Tramespace II by Heike Eickhoff, for das Orchester magazine, December 2016 issue.
- Review of Tramespace I by Stephan Froleyks, for das Orchester magazine, May 2015 issue.
- Cohabitación estilística by Paco Yáñez, for mundoclasico.com, (Review of Tr), on June 11, 2013.
- New Music Opens a New Hall by Allan Kozinn, in New York Times on January 27, 2012.
- New Faces Head Off to a Venerable Spot by Anthony Tommasini, in New York Times on June 30, 2010.